Ray Giordano

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 41106
Property Name : Flying J
Reservation Date : 10/02/2024 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 24
Lures Used : texas rig, bladed jig, spook

Great property, was easy to get to and to park.  24 fish caught in the shallow half of the lake above the weeds, almost all with a light texas rig.  2 just barely over cull, so 22 culled.

Launch was possible with a small boat/trailer, I didn’t back into the mud and was able to get the boat off OK.  It’s a very shallow/weed run to the main lake, I paddled going in, and on the way out I pulled up the trolling motor to just barely in the water and was able to get out with that.  There is a pretty good path through the weeds (prior PWF trail blazers I assume!).

I was catching fish almost every cast, and had to slow down to avoid filling the med sized ice chest.  I fished deep, ledges, some structure, around the damn bank, etc., with cranks and deeper softbaits, but wasn’t able to find bigger fish or a different bite.  I returned to fishing above the grass and they bit all day, 7-12.  I did get some blowups early morning on spook but they were probably too smal to really get a good grip.  A small popper would have worked great I suspect. Texas rig worked fine with a light weight.  I’d love to try again when it gets cold to see if the big ones are deeper (same with all the lakes really).

Because so may fish get caught per trip at these PWF ponds, I switched from offset worm hooks to the wire guard weedless #3 hooks, and I tie/super glue a barb for a baitkeeper.  Using this and an elaztech worm, I caught all 22 on a single worm.  Much faster, less waste, no waste in the pond.  I primarily did it just so I could keep fishing instead of messing with re-threading baits/replacing, etc. and the waste.  Thanks PWF for introducing me to the challenges of catching a lot of fish per trip. I think I’ll have to bring the big ice chest and keep in the car to offload as backup.