Rainy Day Adventures at Red Hollow Lake

Sep 05 2024

Ryan Sipe

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Fished on 9/3 at one of the newer club lakes, Red Hollow.  I had booked 4-5 days when the weather looked perfect at low 80’s and overcast. Then all the rain that was supposed to hit Labor Day weekend stalled until the day to fish.  It was too late to cancel and given I don’t get to fish that often, i decided to give it a whirl.

Fished from sunup at 7am until 2pm when i couldn’t take the rain and cold anymore.  It never stopped raining the entire 7 hours and I didn’t know my teeth could chatter that much in 70+ degree weather.

Enough about the weather, the fishing was solid for how crappy it was outside. Water temp was 78, so much cooler. Caught 11 with all but one directly off the submerged trees/brush piles. Had a massive blowup early on a spook that had the bait and the bass flying a few week out of the water with no hookup.  Best lures were chatterbait and weigthless senko dead sticked along the cover.  Caught a couple on a shakey head with a 9 inch 6th Sense Boosa worm.  Fish were extremely healthy, really nice fighters.  All 11 were overs, which will tell ya something about this place.  It’s a beautiful property that is very well maintained and I certainly will be back.

Post fishing is where the fun began.  I should’ve known better to leave earlier, but the consistent rained softened the launch ramp and needless to say, I was stuck trying to pull the kayak out.  I managed to unhook the trailer and pull it up the hill, but still couldn’t get my suv out.  Big thanks to Cole at PWF who put me in touch with the landowner, Richard.  Richard was kind enough to go well out of his way to come to the property and help pull me out with the skid loader and chains.  I can’t thank him enough for taking time out of his day to help me.  Lesson learned for sure.