Adam Bellar

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 40443
Property Name : Deer Trail Ranch
Reservation Date : 07/13/2024 AM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 11 culls / 20+ 2-3lb fish
Lures Used : Big baits / Cranks / Bladed jigs

We arrived at sunrise, and we're on the water a few minutes after daylight.  The day started out with with a bang! 2 casts, 2 bass.  The bite stayed steady until the sun got good and high and then it got slower but still steady action.  Most fish came in 6-10' of water throwing moving baits over the top of the grass.  Finnese presentations were a guaranteed dink bite, but bigger moving baits brought quality till we left at noon.  Keeping the baits high in the water column was key for my wife and I to keep getting bit.  Almost every fish cane well away from the banks.   We stopped counting at 20 keepers, but the action was steady as long as you stayed in the "bite zone" they were very particular about where they wanted it in the water column.  The fish were all strong, and fiesty and loved diving down into the grass once hooked up.  I'd advise running a heavy fluro or braid in this lake as you will definitely be hauling in fish covered in heavy grass.  

NEAR CATASTROPHE!!!  After fishing about 2 hours unfortunately, my Ulterra found about 100' worth of braided line which it promptly ate.   Luckily we were able to dig it out and keep fishing. I'm just glad I noticed and didn't kill the $3K trolling motor. Guys please, if you get hung up, break it off close and don't throw trash line in the lake!!!! It can cost someone else a heartache!  Besides that snafu tye lake was gorgeous and we would love to go back. I hope to find some bites with SIZE next go around!  It's got all the makings for it!