James Newport

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 40455
Property Name : Post Oak Lake
Reservation Date : 07/12/2024 AM -
Total Fish/Sizes : LMB 3, one over barely
Lures Used : Weightless worms and flukes, top water and frogs

I have not been to this lake in about 6-8 weeks.  There are weeds, not the slimy kind, but a fern like plant that is covering most of the lake.   Even fishing a lightly weighted worm in the deepest parts of the lake brings up grass.  Only holes are about 5 foot off the bank at the dam. Then it's hit or miss on the weeds.   Only bites I got were on small frogs. Sorry to report the weeds, but I have some real concerns.  

Jul 13 2024

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

The lake had some older, larger grass carp in it a few years ago that kept it in check, but they may have died off at this point.  Vegetation is one of those things where you want enough of it to provide cover for forage fish and refuge from the heat for bass, but too much can provide too much cover for forage.  From a fishing perspective, if the fish are under thick grass like they would be in summer, going heavier (1oz weight) and getting a reaction bite can be the way to go vs lighter. It will allow you to pop the bait up and pull it through without pulling up as much grass as you work through it.  The trick becomes finding them there is no obvious concentration of vegetation.   

The good news is that the forage population will boom in the meanwhile so when it dies off in the winter – by next spring, the bass will have alot to eat.