Dale Stagg

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 38878
Property Name : Hidden Springs Ranch
Reservation Date : 03/06/2024 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 10 Bass. All between 2.5 lb and 3 lbs each
Lures Used : Texas Rig Watermelon Worm

After the long drive to this beautiful property, I was hoping for an explosive day of catching bass. I set out to find out my remote for my trolling motor wasn’t working and I had changed batteries the day prior. I was able to go back to truck and take apart and get it working again but not like it should, so I made do. My Livescope did not work at all, so made do without it. I fished for at least two hours fishing shallow and deep to never getting first bite using elmost every bait I had in my arsenal. Nothing seemed to work. I got to the small cove directly across from the dock and caught three nice bass within a time of 15 minutes and after that, everything slowed down again. I moved towards the dam and caught a couple more bass but nothing to get excited about. I then moved into the cove area just to the right of the first boat ramp and caught three in that area and all in the grass or lillies. I ended up with 10 and all but one was over the slot limit and were all between 2.5 lb and 3 lbs each. I ended up catching one fish that was 12 inches to cull but every other fish was well over the slot and they all put on a show of the jumping out of the water just a shaking. Love to see them do that. Lost one reaching for my net when it did the shake and gave him slack. Hoped for a great day but it was actually a pretty slow day for this trip. Weather was awesome with sunny skies, 80 degrees, water temp at 70 degrees and clarity was 3-4 foot. Tons of pollen falling covering the lake with floating pollen. Fished until 5 pm for the long drive back home.