Ellington Tree Farm: Big Day

Apr 23 2012

Pete Houston

Fry

Number of Posts :

I fished here on 4/20/2012, and this was my 3rd trip to this location.  My prior 2 trips I caugt a total of 5 fish so I was not expecting a lot.  I was thoroughly surprised. 

On this trip I caught close to 40 bass; roughly 5 were throwbacks.  10 were between 3.5 and 4.2 lbs.  Most were around 2.5 lbs.  I saw 2 jump out of the water that were easily 10 lbs.  I thought they were gar at first but I got a good look at them when they popped. 

I caught most on plastics and all were around the banks of the pond.  There is an island in the middle of the pond and the big ones were hiding around it on the opposite side of the wind. 

I’ve had multiple days at Rayburn, Fayette, and Conroe where I’ve caught 20 fish, but I’ve never caught 40.  What a blast!

Posted By: Pete Houston

Apr 23 2012

Steve Alexander

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Best report I have heard out of Ellington in a long time. Last October there were two fish over 10 lbs caught. I wish you had landed one of our big fish. Would have been worth $600!

Thanks for the update.

Apr 24 2012

Tom Strother

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Glad you had a good trip, Pete.  Did you try the rip rap area?  In three previous trips this past month I’ve never failed to catch good numbers by drifting up next to the concrete and casting parallel to the “junk” with 4 to 8 ft. diving crankbaits.  I mainly fish plastics, but that area has made me re-think my stratagies and I always start out on that structure with the cranks before hitting the banks with plastics. 

I am curious about the South Lake.  I haven’t tried it yet, but I assume there are good numbers in there, as well.  Please let me know if you try that one.

Good luck!

Tom Strother  

Apr 24 2012

Pete Houston

Fry

Number of Posts :

Hi Tim,

The wind was blowing a bit that day and I was in my kayak.  It blew me up against the rip rap so I sat there and decided I would throw a spinnerbait parallel to the wall.  I honestly caught 10 fish in 12-13 casts; literally in just a couple of minutes. 

I have not tried the south lake but will next time.  I did notice the main lake has come back up almost 10 feet, and the south end has a deep hole in it - so it must be approaching 35 - 40 feet deep by now.

Apr 25 2012

Tom Strother

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Thanks for the response, Pete.  I fished there yesterday from 2:30 to 5:30 and caught 15, all on 10 in. Power Worms.  All but two were taken from the south bank where the dump trucks are working and the east bank by the oil tanks.  No luck at the rip rap…it was just too windy and bumpy there, although I did lose a nice one in the brief time I tried it there.

Let me know if you need a fishing partner for there in the future.  I have two other member friends who also fish with me frequently there.  It’s the closest property to my home in Coperfield.

Tom

Apr 25 2012

Tony Oviedo

Fry

Number of Posts :

The last time I fished this location I caught some good numbers on a shallow diving crank casting parallel to the concrete and some good size fish on the bank casting into the sunken trees by the tanks with a blue worm or crawfish.  I fished before also and only caught a couple though so haven’t figured them out yet.

Apr 26 2012

Pete Houston

Fry

Number of Posts :

Thanks Tom.  The next time I am able to schedule a time to go, I’ll reach out.  Does this club have a member listing with contact info?

Apr 27 2012

Tom Strother

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Good question.  Brian, can you enlighten us on this?

Apr 27 2012

Steve Alexander

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Pete,

For privacy reasons we do not release member contact info.  I think 95% of the members would not care. However, a marketing company could get a hold of the list and solicit our membership. Something I think most members would want to avoid. We are working on a Partner Finder system on our web-site. We hope to have it ready in 6 months or so. In the meantime, please post your e-mail address for Tom and Tom can reach out via e-mail to reach you.

Apr 30 2012

David Tran

Fry

Number of Posts :

I am a new member of PWF and thinking about trying this location first. My questions are:
1. It is listed that the two man boat has a trolling motor already available? Is this true and do I need to bring anything else to use the boat?
2. How is the bank fishing for this lake if I decided to fish off of land?

Thanks in advance,
David T.

May 07 2012

Tom Strother

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

David,

I usually bring my own boat and motor, so I can’s help with question #1.  I used one of the jon boats provided on my last trip and the boat the boat performed more than adequately.

As far as bank fishing goes, it is available, but you would be able to reach more productive spots using a boat.

Good luck and welcome to the club!

Tom Strother