Fabulous lake has got it all, caught 28!

Mar 28 2019

Larry Maupin

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 20713
Property Name : Jones Lake
Reservation Date : 03/26/2019 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 28 all 16” or less
Lures Used : Texas rig Senko, 6” blue worm, minnow lure on a fly rod

I fished with a buddy on this fabulous new club lake near Clarkesville. Weather was perfect, partly cloudy, light breeze, high around 72. Water was very clear to 6' and 65°. Plenty of vegetation in the shallow areas but no problem navigating at all. 

We fished for about eight hours and caught 28 fish including two slab crappie, mostly on pumpkinseed Senko.  We never did find any big ones. Although there’s a report of a 13 pounder caught years ago. We caught all of ours no deeper than 8 feet, but we did find creek channel that’s 24 feet deep. Got no hits on topwater at sundown. 

My fishing partner was an avid flyfisherman so I tried my hand again at flyfishing. I actually caught my very first fish on a fly rod there, a little 6 to 7 inch bass near the dam. 

This lake has two docks you can fish from, and you can fish from shore all the way around the lake.

As soon as we got there the owner Derek Jones came to greet us and see if we needed anything at all. He was very friendly and accommodating. We weren’t planning to bring fish home (16 was my biggest “harvest ever) so he gave us some ice to put on our fish for the trip home. Thank you, sir!

All in all a wonderful outing at a lake with everything: deep structure, lots of standing and fallen trees and brush piles for cover, a healthy amount of vegetation, islands, docks - everything you or a bass would want. 

And the launch area is a short drive from the county road over grassy areas. Heavy rains the day before would make access challenging so watch the weather activity for Clarksville before you go. 

Though the bass were small they were all scrappy and chunky and put up quite a fight for their size. This lake will only get better as years go by.

Mar 28 2019

Danny Renfro

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Did you see any fish on beds?

Mar 28 2019

Larry Maupin

Keeper

Number of Posts :

No we didn’t. But we did catch some young males that looked a little beat up as if they were building beds. And several fish looked either very  well fed or were full of eggs. Not sure if a 1.5-2 pound bass is of breeding age. Maybe Steve or Cole or some else can answer that. 

Mar 29 2019

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Bass are sexually mature (spawning age) usually after the 1st year or when they have reached about 10 inches. Bluegill are sexually mature at 3", usually about a year old.