Kirk Balsley

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 19807
Property Name : MK Ranch
Reservation Date : 11/06/2018 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 7
Lures Used : Various

The title is a description of November 6. Light wind to no wind and cloud cover till 2:30. Started at 7:45 and circled the lake throwing SB, buzz bait, lipless crankbait & even a mid-depth diving crankbait in the mid-lake timber. Did not get a bite till 9:45 back at the dam and it was the best fish of the day. Got it shallow near cat tails on a buzz bait. Maybe a pattern? Kept after and not another bite. Light chop blowing into dam. Started throwing out toward deep water with lipless cb and caught two in the next half hour but they were 12 & 13 1/2". The buzzbait fish was close to 16" and fat. There is black moss all over the bottom of this lake and there were some small floating globs of moss either breaking away from the influx of high water or lake turning over. Went back around the lake again going slower on best looking spots and hitting timber with lizard & fluke and caught one more small fish on lizard. Upper end of this lake looks like it would be killer in the spring. Could not get bit up there. Went to the middle of the lake and tied off to the limited timber there. Threw Bomber Fat Free Shad & and old Rick Clunn mid-depth bait that I usually can get bit on. Also threw watermelon/char. Fluke around timber. I have no depth finder so I'm fishing blind but I could not get anything but a couple of bream bites and one (maybe) fluke bite that felt like a bass. Spent a lot of time out there. Remembered there was a recent report on the lake so I read that. It stated to fish the side by the houses with a swimbait. By then it was 2:30. I reset everything a found a small swimbait and put it on my spinning rod and focused on the deeper side by the houses. Had a couple bites that felt like small fish and landed one about 10". Continued toward dam and caught another that was 15 1/4 inches and in good shape. Fished down to dam and halfway across it throwing swimbait and picking up buzzbait and lipless crankbait again. By then it was 3:40 or so. Went back up again and was getting good shade on the same bank and went down it again alternating between swimbait, Yellow Magic much of the time & buzzbait. Just wasn't meant to be. Got one more small fish & ending up working down the dam again. Things I did not try that could have helped. Minnow bait by the dam in the light wind, chatterbait, drop shot on my spinning tackle (although I don't have much time put in fishing a drop shot). It could have helped if I would have fished first light and again at dark. I fished from 7:45-4:45 (Lunch 15 minutes) so I missed the very prime time. No temperature gauge or depth finder. The boat unloading takes it's toll after a long day (the years are catching up) & I didn't care to do this right at dark. I don't see how Clunn & Tommy Martin still fish tournaments :) The pontoon boat provided is excellent. Wide and stable. The seats needs some screws tightened but the boat is perfect and has an anchor. You do need to bring a paddle if you have one as I didn't see one. Overall tough day on the size of fish but the lake looks awesome. 2 fish over 15" and 5 under 14".

Nov 12 2018

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

Excellent report - Thanks, Kirk.