Greg Zimmerman

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 19656
Property Name : Indian Cave: La Roca Range
Reservation Date : 10/27/2018 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 34; 25 culls; 9 returned; 5.22 lbs
Lures Used : little keeper trash fish; 4.3 keitech; seiko

I fished Indian Cave La Roca Range on Saturday, 10/27.  My 27 year old guest canceled at the last minute, after doing 27 year old things on Friday night, so I fished solo.  This lake is incredible. I caught 34 total with 25 culls and 9 returned.  Biggest was 5.22 lbs, with others at 3.8 lbs and 2.92 lbs.  This lake has everything, including standing timber with retained branches below surface with access to plenty of deep water.  Major creek channel, minor creek channels and an old road or trail of some sort that intersects the major creek channel. Steep rock drop-offs everywhere.  Just amazing bass habitat, which is quite a place to behold, but which also means that the bass have the upper-hand.  I fished hard for 11 hours.  Caught one cull at the dock before getting in the boat, then another adjacent to the dock.  Wasted some time trying top water, then moved to the North part of the main lake.  I spent about 2 hours working that area without a bite.  I moved across the main lake to the southern shore and caught 6, then headed to the major creek channel.  The whole lake is incredible, but the back part of the lake is amazing.  Scenic and beautiful with steep rock adjacent to the water and tree leaves turning color.  The challenging parts are deciding where to fish, because everything looks like it should hold fish.  My casting/pitching/flipping skills are barely average but this lake will humble anyone.  The best looking places require you to cast or pitch through a forest of tree branches in very narrow windows or lanes, comparable to casting in a forest.  For timber near open water, the fish held tight to the branches. I swam lures near trees numerous times with no takers, only to throw a senko in the branches and get an immediate hit.  The pontoon boat is fantastic and though it is remarkably easy to maneuver, but even a jon boat would have a hard time getting into some of those trees, many with thorns.  I spent the vast majority of the day in the back part of the lake.  The 16 inch cull requirement on this lake is necessary, but adds an interesting dimension.  I don't think twice about culling a 13.5 inch fish, but a 15+ inch bass is quite a bit bigger.  I caught two bass that were each 15.75 inches.  One was a skinny 2 lbs with a deformed tail that went in my cull cooler without a second thought.  The other was a very fat 2.33 lbs with a sunfish tail sticking out of its throat.  I rounded up on the length on that one and returned it to the lake.  I have added pictures of each to show the differences.  At around 6:00pm, I headed back to the dock area.  I went over by the spillway part of the dam, where there is some dying grass, and caught six more.  As light was fading, I pulled the boat to the dock, threw a senko next to the fish feeder, and caught the 5.22 lb bass.  I released her at the same spot and she swam back under the dock, ready for the next PWF member to catch her.

Oct 28 2018

Murrie Holland

Fry

Number of Posts :

Thanks for the report.  About 3 weeks ago, I bought a few of the trash fish in 4 and 6 inch that have been popular on the West Coast.  I have been waiting for the rain to die down a bit so I can go fishing and try them out. 

From watching videos, they have a really good swim action to them.  Which size do you prefer?  Also, are you rigging them on an Owner Beast weighted hook?

Oct 28 2018

Greg Zimmerman

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Hi Murrie, I use the 6 inch trash fish, carp color, with 7/0 weighted Owner Beast hook with screw lock.  The 7/0 fits the 6 inch perfectly.  The action is really good on the trash fish.  I have caught several bass on them since the start of the fall weather.

Oct 28 2018

Justin Anderson

Fry

Number of Posts :

Thanks for the report.  Sounds like a beautiful place to wet a line!

Oct 29 2018

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Greg,

Solid report. You summed things up very well. This is likely the best lake/property we have signed in awhile. 

Moreover, you are exactly right about evaluating each fish for harvest. Harvesting fish the right way requires common sense. If you catch a 14 inch bass that is an absolute stud (huge round belly); throw it back. If you catch a 16 inch fish that is rail thin and obviously has issues you take it out. However, sometimes common sense is not the same for everybody, so we have to have guidelines. And for this lake it is removing fish less than 16 inches. Most folks think 14 vs 15 inches, what is the difference? Not a big deal right? Wrong! The difference between a healthy 14 inch fish and a healthy 15 inch fish is about a 1/2 lb. That is a big deal! Do your best to evaluate each fish independently and then decide to remove or not to remove. For this first year, we can side to remove most all fish smaller than 16 inches. Once we remove 1200 fish over the next few months, being more selective will become more important. 

Obviously catch rates will greatly come down over the next few months as we harvest. So, if you want to go catch 30-50 bass a day, go now while catch rates are high. The size of the fish will increase over the coming years. I have no doubt. Harvest works, when we get our membership to participate. 

Thanks