Largemouth who thought they were Smallmouth!!

Oct 24 2018

Mike Mehlmann

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Derrick Merchant and I fished Indian Cave last week during the height of the monsoons…On the drive out, we counted 5 Auto accidents due to the high water and every body of water we saw was overflowing and murky.  Upon arrival, we were incredibly surprised that Indian Cave Lake, while full and flowing over the spillway, still had 3 to 4 foot visibility.  The drive through La Roca Range ranch was beautiful.  We saw several deer and black bucks.  The lake is gorgeous.  It is very well built with lots of cover and some structure.  The fish were extremely aggressive.  About half the time we hooked bass, we saw several other bass trying to steal the bait from the hooked bass all the way into the boat!   In the past, I have seen this often with Smallmouth, and very rarely with Largemouth.  We caught 55 (12 over 16 inches with the largest weighing 3.5) culled 43; dumped 13 dinks on site….cleaned and ate 30 "pounders." Coming from clear, clean water, they were delicious.  Our biggest went 3.5 pounds. 

The pontoon boat was very comfortable to fish from as long as trolling motor is mounted at the bow.  If you have a transom mount trolling motor, you can easily convert it to a bow mount in 60 seconds.  Just search the topic on YouTube and you will find several short how to vids 

Oct 24 2018

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

Mike, glad y'all did well. I've not even heard of this place. Can't find it on property list. Where is it?

Tom

Oct 25 2018

Mike Mehlmann

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Hey Tom.  It is under Santo Indian Cave.